Sunday, June 6, 2010

Great Travelers


In the next section of the textbook (Part 3: An Age of Accelerating Connections 500-1500), we will see the world getting smaller as the interactions between regions, cultures, and peoples increase.

For our first Reading Analysis paper (due June 14), we will work with primary documents in translation, concerning the wonder-filled travels of two remarkable people of this period, Marco Polo and Ibn Batuta.

Have a look here at another example of one of the period's most notable adventurers, Xuanzang. His life reflects many of the themes covered in the textbook with regard to China's history (Confucianism, political disruption, the value of scholarship, and the import of Buddhism from India).

7 comments:

  1. I believe we all have the ability to set out on our own pilgrimage, we don't have to live a secluded life, but we do need to turn the focus to ourselves to see what it is we are seeking out of life. The book "The Alcamist" is a great illistration of such a journey and promoting positive energy to inspire an individual...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, writing on Xuanzang, Cittamatra, and contemporary research on consciousness is well underway. This should be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far finding the articles interesting...so many questions though....which one to choose for my paper?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading Marco Polo, but finding Ibn Batuta a little harder to stay engaged...alright back to reading~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Ann. I found the selection on Ibn Batuta difficult to absorb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't get through the second page of Ibn's document. I was very difficult for me to read. I may read it later. Polo's document was much easier for me to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's a link to another Ibn Battuta source: http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/1354-ibnbattuta.html that is clearer without the notes.

    ReplyDelete